Congratulations go to NEN Member, Let’s Do Business Group, on its recent win of Outstanding Small or Medium Employer of the Year, in the Careers & Enterprise Company Annual Awards 2018. The award is in recognition of Let’s Do Business’ work supporting schools and colleges around the South East with their careers programmes.
Let’s Do Business had been nominated for, and were winners of the East & South East region award by the Careers & Enterprise Company. And on Wednesday 4 July, the Group were announced as overall national winners against two other shortlisted nominees at the Annual Careers & Enterprise Conference.
The Careers & Enterprise Company Annual Awards 2018 recognised and celebrated inspirational work being done by schools and colleges, employers, volunteers and careers professionals around England. A record number of over 200 nominations where submitted for this year’s nine award categories, which were decided by a panel of independent expert judges.
Graham Marley Chief Executive of the Let’s Do Business Group said:
“We are incredibly happy to receive these awards from the Careers & Enterprise Company, which recognise the hard work the team does to support a range of activities in schools to help build the skills and aspirations of young people”.
Supporting a range of initiatives, the Let’s Do Business Group has:
- Provided a minimum of three work placements per year.
- Mentored twenty four pupils from Robertsbridge Community College on an one-to-one basis since 2017.
- Provided an Enterprise Advisor to a school in Eastbourne, helping to shape the Careers curriculum and introducing other businesses to support the school.
- Committed to being a Cornerstone Employer for the Hastings Opportunity Area – committing a range of support for secondary schools in Hastings.
- Supported three schools with mock interview days; supported four careers fairs and raised awareness with the local business community of the value of business interactions with young people.
Alex Maynard from Gildredge House School who has recently been on work experience with the Group said: “It was a very enjoyable experience – I gained a lot of knowledge about different types of business and particularly enjoyed finding out about marketing, which was quite complex.”
Claudia Harris, Chief Executive of The Careers & Enterprise Company, said: “Preparing young people for the fast-changing world of work has never been more important. There is incredible work going on in schools, colleges, employers and more across the country. We hope these awards are a small way to say thank you and shine a light on this amazing work.”